Pages

26 August 2012

Not Entirely New to This Game

I feel as if I'm still trying to be too grand in what I'm writing here.  I've actually had three previous blogs... or the equivalent thereof on whichever social networking site I was on at the time.  I began writing notes, thoughts, rants, etc. when I first got on Myspace.  I enjoyed Myspace most for this, to be honest.  Yes, I admit, I loved being able to customize my page, but I loved being able to write and that my friends would comment on what I would write about.  I still have my Myspace account*... somewhere in cyberspace.  I have tried to access it on one or two occasions this last year, but can't remember the password and they don't seem to be able to send it to me for some reason.  Meh.  Oh well.

I joined Facebook back when it was still just for college students.  And the reason I joined?  Well, let me set the stage for you:

I am over spending some time with a new group of friends during my first semester of college. I'm in a discussion with about three to four of my friends, when another friend (we'll call him Steve) calls out, "Hey, Todd! When's your birthday?"

"Why?" I ask.

"I just need to know."

Uh-huh. Yeah. Right. As I come out and see Steve sitting at his laptop, I notice that he has an information screen up for creating a new Facebook page. I didn't even really know what it was, other than it was something to help you connect and stay connected with friends, but the last thing I was going to do was let Steve set up something on the web for me. I mean, come on... I was a computer science major at the time! Wouldn't do to have him setting it up for me.

I can't say that Facebook had me hooked at the beginning.  It wasn't as flashy as Myspace and customization was not really a large point, but it certainly worked well enough.  Then, I came to the realization that a lot of the trash that seemed to come up in Myspace didn't really exist on Facebook... and then I discovered that Facebook had added a "Note" feature, which essentially functioned like what I had been using on Myspace.  I would post to both pages for a while because I had friends on Myspace that weren't yet on Facebook, but as soon as most of them were on Facebook (which did eventually happen), I really never went back much after that.

After a few years, I finally got onto Blogger and began with the title "Dome of Stars."  I took it from a love of seeing the night sky, a love of the northern lights (which I want to see at least once in my life), and a love of The Lord of the Rings (The name Elrond literally means "vault of stars/dome of stars", and Elrond is one of my favorite characters from that series).  I tried a few things but really didn't do much with it.  I started a project (my Tuesdays With Morrie section), but never went through with all of it.  I'm hoping to re-do and complete that project, but that is (for the moment) not a priority.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, brings us to where we are now in my online writing career... if for some reason you had any inkling to know.

*I have since been able to access and save to my computer any of the posts that used to be on my Myspace blog before I closed out the account.  I also counted the posts that I have made between both my Myspace and Facebook accounts.  I counted over 56!  I was a little surprised, though a number of them were just re-posting things I found interesting.  But still!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment