Pages

15 August 2012

Why An Elegant Weapon?

"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
-Old Ben Kenobi/Obi-Wan Kenobi

I am in the process of changing my blog page and decided that I did not like my previous title.  I always have the most difficult time deciding what to call things.  (Honestly, I really think too much about it and possibly put too much effort into something that should just be simple.)  I wanted something that reflects on me, but wouldn't limit what kind of things I can write.  The quote at the top is what I came up with.  The title is "An Elegant Weapon."

Now, for those of you who may not be very familiar with the Star Wars movies, this quote comes from a conversation between Ben Kenobi and Luke Skywalker.  Kenobi is giving Luke his father's lightsaber and has to explain what it is.  As he completes his explanation, he finishes with this phrase to describe the lightsaber.

I liked this title for a few reasons.  One, I love Star Wars.  I love the world (universe?) that has come from the movies.  Two, Obi-Wan has always been one of my favorite characters, so, why not use one of his quotes.  I usually tend to like the mentor characters in books, movies, and shows, but I'll cover that in a later blog.  Three, I can use the title, "An Elegant Weapon", to refer to my words.  Words and the written language are a powerful tool and/or weapon in proficient hands.  Now, I do not claim to be particularly proficient in my writing skills.  I think I have some ability and it has been a goal of mine since about my junior year of high school to be able to express myself in a way that others would be able to understand whatever point or thought I was trying to get across.  I think I have done a decent job in accomplishing this, but would like to continue to develop this talent.  The only way to do so is to practice, so, I need to write.

Now, if I am completely honest, I have also been a little envious of a friend of mine who has been posting regularly to his own blog for a number of years now.  I think that it is impressive that he has stuck to his posting and now has quite a library of things that he has written.  Now, not all of them are masterworks... Many of them are rants... A number of them make excellent points... Others poke fun at things (and sometimes actually happen)... But after all is said and done, I enjoy many of his posts and would like to make the effort to have a blog that I post to on a regular basis.

So, I begin anew.

2 comments: