Pages

22 October 2012

Murder, Mystery, and All Sorts of Trouble

In 2010 I was introduced to my current favorite TV show. I was tempted to title this as my second "Late to the Party" post, but it was only the second season that was run. I consider that getting in early enough. What's the show? Check this out.


Richard Castle is the main character in the show with his name. As you saw (because you clearly checked out the link I posted, right?), Castle is about a murder mystery writer who is tagging along on cases with a detective as he tries to get ideas for his books. Sounds pretty dry on the surface, but is so much better. In the first episode, we learn that Castle has recently killed off his "golden goose", Derrick Storm, because he was bored with the character. He knew exactly how things would go and he was tired of him. While he is at a party unveiling the last book of his series, he is approached by a detective (Kate Beckett) who has some questions to ask him because of a murder scene that looked (almost) exactly like a murder scene that he had described in one of his books. Castle is interested in Kate and figures out a way that he might be able to follow her around: She will be the inspiration for the main character in his new series! He offers his assistance in solving this initial crime and, because of his pull with the mayor, is able to continue following around on other cases.

I LOVE this show! I've always enjoyed murder mysteries and this takes that and rolls it with an awesome dose of humor that has me rolling with laughter in so many of the episodes. I love the character of Rick Castle. I know that this is a Hollywoodized portrayal of an author, but I love it all the same. And I really enjoy the fact that, while he is portrayed as "A nine-year-old on a sugar rush, totally incapable of taking anything seriously" (to quote Beckett), he is also shown as a loving and caring father to his daughter Alexis, who more often than not is the one person in the show who can put him in his place. ...Not to mention the fact that I have enjoyed pretty much everything that I have seen (or heard) Nathan Fillion in.

All of the characters have their moments to share their sharp wit and there are a plethora of great lines from the show. Here's one from the first episode:
Beckett: Half of the guys are waiting for prints. You don't just jump the line.
Castle: Oh, I think somebody feels threatened.
Beckett: I'm not threatened.
Castle: No, no, I get it. I can call the mayor and you can't.
Beckett: We have procedure. Protocol.
Castle: Yeah, and you always come to a complete stop at a red light and you never fudge your taxes. Tell me something: Do you ever have any fun? Let your hair down? Drop your top? A little "cops gone wild"?
Beckett: You do know that I'm wearing a gun?
I'll grant you that I'm biased, but take a look at some of the episodes. I don't think you'll regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Great job explaining! This is a favorite show at our house as well. If I didn't already watch it, you would have had me pretty convinced to check it out!

    ReplyDelete